You will be logged-out on changing the country.
Do you wish to continue?
Your cart will be emptied on changing the country.
Do you wish to continue?
Whole Roasted Heritage Chicken
This recipe involves brining in thyme, lemon honey and salt and then roasting for a perfectly moist and seasoned chicken. Serve with Brussel sprouts, shallots, fingerling potatoes, and roasted wedges of kabocha squash.
The earthy tea and forest floor notes, bright acidity, and black cherry fruit of our Heirloom Pinot Noir are the perfect complement to this holiday harvest feast.
Impressive and elegant, the Heirloom Pinot Noir is the epitome of our belove Grace Benoist Ranch estate vineyard, with incredible structure, depth and balance. Vibrant and expressive, with exuberant red berries jumping from the glass, immediately you’re overcome by notes of dark black cherry, red raspberry, cola spice, orange pekoe tea, and delicate chaparral herbs of bay laurel, lavender and rosemary, which all delicately interweave seamlessly.
Large deep baking pan or Dutch oven
Ingredients for the Chicken
1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
1 head of garlic (to stuff the chicken)
1 bunch of thyme (to stuff the chicken)
½ lb. brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
1 lb. fingerling potatoes, cut to the same size as brussels sprouts
½ lb. kabocha squash, cut to the same size as the brussels sprouts
6 shallots, bottoms cut off carefully so shallots retain their shape, skins removed
1 cup water
1 tbsp. olive oil
Ingredients for the Brine (optional)
1 gallon water
¾ cup salt
1 lemon, cut in quarters
10 sprigs thyme
7 sprigs parsley
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. black pepper
1/3 cup honey
Ingredients for the Sauce Verte
½ cup chopped parsley and basil (about ½ bunch of each)
3 tbsp. golden balsamic vinegar (can be substituted with champagne vinegar)
¼ cup Canola oil
1. To brine: Bring all brining ingredients to a simmer and cool completely. Add the chicken and brine for 8 hours. For a crispy skin, let the chicken brine overnight. (If you cannot brine the chicken: Rub the chicken with salt underneath the skin and inside very well).
2. Place all the cut vegetables in a large deep baking pan or Dutch oven.
3. Add the cup of water and the olive oil.
4. Stuff the chicken with the garlic head and thyme.
5. Make a well in the vegetables and place the chicken in the center.
6. Cook at 400° F for 35 to 45 minutes, until the interior of the chicken is 165° F using a meat thermometer.
7. Make the sauce verte by chopping the herbs and blending them with the oil, vinegar, and salt . Remove to a serving platter and serve the chicken whole, drizzled with the sauce verte.